Monday, July 11, 2011

Chelsea Piers and Osso Bucco

I forgot to mention that the night before I took the trains alone, I was in in the presence of these.  Lonnie had to meet up with Ryan Jacklone for some reason.  (The dude was sponsored by pawn gloves)  Ryan lived on the way to the Lower East side where we were heading to have some refreshments.  Jacklone met us outside and we walked into his building through the halls with mirrors facing each other, leading us toward the elevator.  The doorman recognized Ryan.  He gave a nod at us and Ryan gave the hard palm slap, followed by a fist bump.  Inside his place, surfboards lined the wall, his chest build now bigger than his waist, speaking to us in a New Yorker "fuck off let's get her moving" rush but he laid back the last few letters and gave that relaxed surfer tone.  He informed us of how he had recently returned from California, surfing.  

  He had to cut short, he had a business meeting, we had to get back to our refreshments, brooklyn lager awaits.  

After walking, walking, and walking 14 blocks, in my Xsjado avant shoes, my legs were burning.  It was a luxury to have shoes that function just as good walking, looked fresh, and were meant for my blades.  

The next morning I woke up to the concrete waves, Chelsea piers.  This skatepark was heaven, the chino skatepark of New York.  

I had to cut loose from the boys.  Robyn and I made Truffle Polenta with bacon, osso bucco with bacon, and swiss chard with Bacon.  I never said I was complaining.  I normally have polenta a little drier than this, Robyn introduced me to the softer side, like grits.  The secret to not getting lumps is to pour the polenta in boiling water/chicken stock.  It wasn't till we had it at the consistency we wanted to add about a Tablespoon of truffle oil.  The Ox-tails melted as the cold fork grazed the edges of the meat.  2 oxtails seared and then braised with; 1 white onion roughly chopped, 3 carrots, 1/2 a head of celery, 1 Tbsp. black peppers, 1/2 a bottle of red wine then the pot was filled with water till it was 2/3 above the bone and threw in 1 bone marrow in hopes that the gelatin found in the marrow will emulsify the flavorless water.  After a 12 hour braise on low heat we strained the liquid, reduced it, and made an amazing rich thick sauce.  

We bought Bone Marrow at the Farmer's market along with the ox-tails.  We tried roasting it in her oven, but the high temperature was alerting the neighbors cause the fire alarm was screaming bloody murder.  The two pieces were roasted at 450˚F for 10 minutes and was topped with a truffle oil, lemon and parsley vinaigrette.  We spread the bone marrow on crackers.  It would have been better on a piece of brioche.  This was the first time either of us had tried to cook bone marrow on our own.  This was more of a recipe for heartburn more so than anything else.